Litter

Anything you would like to talk about
janepellowe

Litter

Post by janepellowe » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 10:41 pm

For many of us, one of the main attractions of living in Dundry is its delightful rural environment. Sadly however, this is being spoilt somewhat by thoughtless people (not villagers) dropping litter all around our village. As we all well know there are two categories of litter, fly tipping (usually dealt with fairly promptly by NSC) and also the problem of numerous people throwing individual items from their cars. I believe that we as villagers could be more proactive in dealing with this particular problem.
The Village Orderly has very little time available for litter picking and with limited resources it is unlikely that more money can be found to sort the problem.
So what can we do about it? Well of course we could do nothing. But just take a stroll down Highridge Road from the Hairpin Bend, and notice the hedges just littered with cans, bottles, take away boxes etc. And of course that's replicated to an extent all around the village, so imagine how much worse it will be in a year, five years, and so on.
I have a few suggestions. We all need to take greater responsibility for the rubbish we see near our homes or as we walk around the village. Ask yourself when you last picked up a piece of litter that you didn't accidentally drop yourself. OK, you might ask, why should you bother? Well, the alternative is that it will just stay there and spoil our roads, our lanes, our fields, our village. If we picked up any small piece of litter within say 25 metres each way of our homes, or took some rubber gloves and a carrier bag when we went for a walk occasionally, then that would mostly cure the problem. Even better, there are litter pickers, bought by the Parish Council a few years ago, available to borrow. They're also very cheap to buy yourself if it's more convenient to have your own. Litter pickers are of course a much safer and less unpleasant option than picking up items by hand.
I'm aware that many villagers already pick up litter on a regular basis which is really great. Perhaps those people could share what they do with their neighbours and encourage them to do the same.
I have another suggestion..... As mentioned before, there are just not sufficient funds to pay our Village Orderly for the time needed to pick up the quantity of litter that is spread so widely around the village. Maybe those villagers who feel as strongly as I do, would consider contributing towards sponsoring some extra hours. If 100 villagers paid £25 or even £50 per year we would raise an amazing £2500 to £5000, which would surely fund plenty of 'litter picking hours'. Of course we would also need to find someone willing to take on these hours, as well as key people around the village who could take responsibility for asking their neighbours if they would be interested in participating. I'd be happy to ask the Oxleaze Lane folk if they could help.
Yes, there would be some hurdles to be got over if this scheme was to be implemented but we've got to do something. Our village is worth it!