Taylor Wimpey potential housing development near A38/A370

Anything you would like to talk about
Lizzy

Taylor Wimpey potential housing development near A38/A370

Post by Lizzy » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi

We are moving to Dundry soon and I notice there has been a public meeting about it this potential new development. I am interested in the effect on views from the top of Dundry and if local Dundry people have views or involved over in consultations. I'm interested in where this is all likely to go.

Any input appreciated.

Dean Scott

Re: Taylor Wimpey potential housing development near A38/A370

Post by Dean Scott » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 4:05 pm

The core strategy has been set by North Somerset Council so this captures developements upto 2026. Taylor Wimpey think they can just ignore Central and Local governments and do what they want (they are wrong).
in 2026 the areas for housing will be reviewed and indead at that stage Taylor Wimpey will no doubt try again. Their proposal is for so say 3no villages in reality this is a massive 4,500 home development and indeed it would ruin the views from Dundry.
Unfortunatley Taylor Wimpey are trying to build there for pure greed, they have no interest in the beauty of the place and ignore the massive traffic congestion it would cause.

Holger Laux

Post by Holger Laux » Thu 02 Mar, 2017 12:31 am

Hi Lizzy,

Many thanks for your interest and sorry I could not reply earlier.

If you watched the local BBC news on Monday, you may be even more alarmed! (If you haven't seen it yet, I put a recording here: http://www.dundry.org.uk/news.php#425)

The area you mention, also known as Ashton Vale, is part of the Bristol Green Belt, which is not just "rolling green pastures" as the news reports suggests, but serves 5 very distinct purposes:

To check the unrestricted sprawl of large built-up areas
To prevent neighbouring towns merging into one another
To assist in safeguarding the countryside from encroachment
To preserve the setting and special character of historic towns
To assist in urban regeneration, by encouraging the recycling of derelict and other urban land

Bristol's Green Belt is split into various pockets and each of them is assessed against these criteria. Ashton Vale actually ranks quite high as an area deserving protection. (see https://www.jointplanningwofe.org.uk/gf ... tage_2.pdf)

So how come TWH thought they could build on that land?

Fellow poster Dean Scott rightly pointed out that the North Somerset Core Strategy sets out housing developments until 2026 and protects the Green Belt.

But the next round of planning is already in the pipeline. This time, it looks until 2036 and is called the Joint Spatial Plan (JSP, see https://www.jointplanningwofe.org.uk/consult.ti) and is currently under consultation.

Dundry Parish Council took part and made our voice heard. You can read our submission here: https://www.jointplanningwofe.org.uk/co ... 6search%3D

I also recommend scanning http://www.dundry.org.uk/news.php which contains various entries on the subject. Here is just a summary:

It is projected that the West of England needs to find room for 85,000 new homes by 2036. Originally, 5 possible, but very general, scenarios were suggested and some considered Ashton Vale to be released for development. At this point, TWH pulled plans for "3 new villages" out of their hat and told everyone it was definitely going to happen. Since a final decision about the Joint Spatial Plan will be taken in 2018, TWH said time was of the essence and whoever wanted to have a say in what this development would look like must engage in the discussion right now.

Now for a moment, let's get back to the news report above: It is interesting to note that the new "metro mayor" will have the power to relax Green Belt regulations to allow easier housing development. The area called West of England consists of 4 local authorities: South Gloucestershire, Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset and North Somerset. The metro mayor will sit on top of them and can take decisions concerning the whole area. The first three authorities decided this was a good idea, but North Somerset Council voted against it and opted out, fearing too much power will be given away to a rather remote, central authority. So whatever the metro mayor decides, it will not affect North Somerset!

With regards to the Joint Spatial Plan, we have been assured by North Somerset's strategic planning officers that the anticipated housing demand until 2036 can be met without touching the Green Belt. So it turns out TWH's efforts were rather premature. Their planned development is not going to happen, at least not on our side of the new South Bristol Link Road. The story may be different on the northern, the Bristol side. And if you look at the farm gates that have been installed there - to me they look very much like access drives for future housing estates. But at least they are far away from Dundry and will not have a dramatic impact.

With regards to Dean's comments about housing developers, the business apparently works like this: Developers build a large portfolio of land ownership and options. This does not mean that they will use all of them at once. In order to run a successful, long-term business, they have to use them slowly but steadily. They know that local authorities are under pressure to provide new housing. So, sitting on their portfolios, they are in a strong negotiating position. Greenfield sites are much easier to develop than brownfield sites which may require a lot of remedial work. It is therefore in the developers' interest to push for Green Belt land to be released. It is likely to happen at some point, but my feeling ist that this precious ressource should be given up very sparingly and must be used to the best possible effect (i.e. dense housing, not "3 villages"), if at all necessary. (see also http://www.cpre.org.uk/ for more info)

I hope I was able to explain this rather complex issue in just a few lines and to answer your concerns.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the parish of Dundry. :-)

Holger
Last edited by Holger Laux on Thu 02 Mar, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Thu 02 Mar, 2017 8:00 am

That is such an amazing response, thank you so much for putting me into the picture.

We look forward to becoming part of the Dundry community.

Liz

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 1:33 pm

Lizzy,

Thank you for this post, if all goes well we are also hoping to be moving to Dundry this time next month. I had heard about these proposed TW developments but could not find any remotely helpful information on the subject... cue Dundry forum!

Thanks to Holger and Dean for your very detailed informative responses, they are very helpful and certainly clear things up for us.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of meeting you all soon!

Nick

Pepper25

Post by Pepper25 » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi all, similar question again as we're considering moving to Dundry/just off Bridgewater road.

Where does the council stand now with the plans? I have a friend who works in property (although now for TW), and she thinks because they have spent almost £4m on plans for 'The Vale', they won't go down without a fight.

I've seen the 2036 JSP plan, although can't quite make heads or tails of it.

Are we going to lose our countryside? :?