BT broadband

Bringing faster broadband to Dundry.
jamesdundry

BT broadband

Post by jamesdundry » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 7:54 pm

If, like me, you're not in a position to get the Wight Wireless broadband, you may be heartened to know that our cabinet is now listed as in the Build phase. This means typically that fibre to the cabinet will be available within 5 months.

FWIW, I recently spent a bit of time talking to the BT support people and have managed to get our broadband from <1Mb to >4Mb. Okay, it's not superfast, but 4M is quite workable, especially considering how far in the sticks we are. If you're experiencing very slow speeds on BT, or other service providers on copper lines, it might be worth getting help as there might be more speed available in your line than you think. Happy to answer questions on the topic if it's helpful.

James

TimWaite

Re: BT broadband

Post by TimWaite » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks James for the BT update. It does seem that BT have agreed to upgrade the cabinet on Broadoak Hill to fibre this year. I did receive a verbal promise for that upgrade to be done back in March 2014 but it is now on their website (see below).
As you were informed, it should improve the speed in East Dundry though it will not make much difference in Dundry village as the cabinet here (Andruss Drive) is not to be upgraded.
Wight Wireless are still in the early stages of their installations. We do hope they will be extending their coverage very soon. Those that are lucky enough to have it get good speeds (up to 50 Mbps).
Dundry-BTbroadbandUpdate.jpg
Dundry-BTbroadbandUpdate.jpg (520.05 KiB) Viewed 587 times

TimWaite

Re: Wight Wireless

Post by TimWaite » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 2:53 pm

Update from Wight Wireless

A quick update
This is just a quick update for those of you who have placed an order with us and are yet to receive an installation date. We have not forgotten you - we promise! As you may be aware we have been busy building our infrastructure and connecting the first batches of customers, but we are receiving lots of requests for an update...

The CDS Story
Dundry has been a bit of an unusual project for us, the fact that CDS had set us an extremely tight deadline (June 30th) to connect all voucher holders meant that we took the unusual step to deploy some temporary infrastructure so that we could connect a number of customers before the vouchers expired.
Ordinarily after extensive desktop and physical planning we would finalise a network design. We would then fully build and test new base stations before we beginning to connect our customers. However because we were limited in terms of time, we have been connecting customers along side the deployment of our network.

There is good news!
CDS have granted an extension, vouchers are now valid until the end of September. This has enabled us to take a step back, look at a number of sites for relays to fill in the gaps in our coverage. We apologise for the slight delay but our aim is to deliver the best quality service to as many homes in Dundry as possible.

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Sun 06 Aug, 2017 8:42 am

Hi

Please could you tell us what this means for timescales for those people who are waiting.

Thanks.

Liz

TimWaite

Post by TimWaite » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:50 am

Hi Lizzy

I'm afraid the answer is to contact WightWireless direct (01983 770000) for all installation news.
Office hours 0900 to 1700 Monday to Friday or email sales@wightwireless.net
Things have gone a bit quiet here but we hope for more action in Dundry soon.

Tim

jamesdundry

Post by jamesdundry » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 9:34 pm

Just to follow up on earlier messages -- cabinet 48 has now been upgraded to fibre and I'm now getting a solid 45Mbps. Appreciate that's not much help to the Andruss Drive cabinet households, but if you're connected to the Broadoak Hill cabinet BT's a good option again.

FWIW.

Holger Laux

Post by Holger Laux » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 12:40 am

Unfortunately, it took them a couple of household contract cancellations to finally wake up.

I am now getting a solid 45mbps from WW as well, so they lost me as a customer, sorry.

Holger